Guardians of the Rose is a skill-based Action RPG that is focused on developing your character however you want, to suit your desire to be Good or Evil. It features customisable stats, skills, and gear.
- Align with Good or Evil – You get to choose whether Good or Evil prevails. Your alignment is based on your actions. Killing monsters near a town to save villagers is an act that earns good points while killing innocent villagers, stealing, or using witchcraft will accumulate evil points. Your alignment affects which NPCs are friendly towards you and which ones are enemies. It also can change your path in the story, which quests you can take, what gear you can wear, and more.
- Open-Ended Adventuring – The world is laid out specifically so that you can choose to explore in any direction you want. You can choose to progress the storyline at your own pace while immersing yourself inside the lore and sidequests of the kingdom. These sidequests are not your typical “save my chicken” type quests but instead are designed to make the player feel like he is making a significant difference in the lands around him.
- Witchcraft – Witchcraft is known in the kingdom as the source of all evil. Using it risks your ability to get along with natives of the land and if caught using witchcraft you can compromise your ability to experience certain endings of the game. If you do choose to use witchcraft you can craft it with items that you find in your explorations.
- Choose your own way to play – The player must choose what path to take, good or evil. The only goal of the game is to restore peace to the land. How it is done is up to the player. You can choose to incite revolution from the stealth of the shadows or you can wage all out war. With a completely customizable stats and skills system there is very little the player does not have control over.
- Multiple Endings – Depending on how you play the game, which path you take in your exploration of the lands, and who you decide to party with, the game’s story and ending can change fairly drastically.
Guardians of the Rose was heavily inspired by the classic tales of Homer, Viking Sagas, and high fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings and Winds of Fate. Along with the inspiration from classic books and stories the game’s style was inspired by old school Arcade games that I would play as a kid at Pizza Hut and the local bowling Alley. Other inspirations include: The Legend of Zelda, Gauntlet, Ragnarok Online, and The Elder Scrolls series.